I am always on the lookout for great quality math instruction for my kids. Over the past 6 weeks, we’ve been using the Homeschool Membership from CTCMath to review and practice algebra as preparation for upcoming standardized tests, but it’s uses go far beyond test prep!
CTCMath is an online math curriculum that covers all math levels (from kindergarten through calculus) and offers 1400 video tutorials, worksheets and diagnostic tests. Each tutorial is 4 to 9 minutes, and is followed up with interactive worksheets that record your student’s work. Detailed explanations are then offered to help your student gain a clear understanding of the concepts covered.
How we Used CTCMath
My high school daughter, going into her senior year, used CTCMath to review and practice algebra in preparation for her upcoming standardized tests. She found this program to be clear cut and easy to use. Before beginning a new topic in the program, there is an optional diagnostic test, a short quiz that evaluates your student’s knowledge of the subject before beginning that level of lessons. This was helpful for my daughter, because it allowed her to move past that lessons containing topics that she had already mastered, so she could focus on the areas that needed strengthening.
Benefits of Using CTCMath:
- Online access 24/7, and can be accessed on your phone or tablet for on the go learning.
- It’s user friendly for parent and students. Initial set-up for each student is quick and simple.
- Diagnostic Tests can be used after lessons to check understanding, or before lessons to help place your child in the right level.
- Video based learning, effective students with visual learning styles.
- Encourages independent learning in all levels.
- Clear and easy to navigate parent dashboard that allows you to assign lessons, set a date for completion, and track your students progress through the program. Parent and student dashboards can also be customized.
- Students are awarded certificates (that can be printed) when they complete a section of the program.
- The Homeschool Membership includes access for up to 10 students, and all levels of math are available (from Kindergarten through Calculus).
This was our first experience using CTCMath, and it was definitely a positive one! I’ve already browsed through the other levels and setup my younger daughter to start working on the pre-algebra lessons later this month. I think this is an excellent fit for our family, and if you prefer to have your students work independently, this is a great opportunity to do so. Your student may still need you for support occasionally, but the lessons are taught carefully and clearly, step by step, in an engaging way. I think the use of short videos is an advantage. It allows your student to focus on, and master, one concept at a time. This is particularly helpful for students who suffer from math anxiety or are easily overwhelmed.
Payment options are available, giving you the option to pay monthly, for 6 months or for the one year access plan.