Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve had the pleasure of listening to the audio drama The Cat of Bubastes based on the novel by G.A. Henty. This adventure story transports listeners to ancient Egypt, during the time of Moses, weaving history into the tale of a prince and his friends who find their courage and loyalty challenged.
The Cat of Bubastes is the newest audio drama from Heirloom Audio Productions and features an award-winning cast. Heirloom Audio creates family friendly, living history adventure stories. The audio dramas are masterfully produced with high quality acting, music and sound effects.
Available as a 2-CD set, The Cat of Bubastes provides over two hours of active listening. The story is designed to appeal to ages 6-16, but all ages would likely enjoy listening in on the adventure, and learn something new about Egyptian history.
Heirloom Productions provides several resources with each purchase of their audio adventure. For the purpose of this review, we were given the following additional resources to enhance our study:
- The Study Guide includes 47 pages of resources to help parents engage children with the story by offering discussion points to help get the conversation started. Students and parents can talk about the lessons learned in the story and how to apply this learning to daily life.
- An Ebook version of G.A. Henty’s original The Cat of Bubastes with all new colorful graphics. If you have a child who learns well visually, this illustrated ebook will enhance their learning.
- The Official Soundtrack MP3 download, containing all of the original music from the production.
- Free access to the Live The Adventure Letter E-Newsletter.
- Printable copy of the inspirational verse found in 1 Chronicles 17:20.
- Take a look behind the scenes of the production with the documentary, featuring the actors and production team.
All three of my girls loved listening to The Cat of Bubastes. They are studying the ancients this year (each using different resources appropriate for their ages- 9,12 and 16), and the timing for this review was perfect! It was a wonderful resource to add to their study of ancient Eygpt, and brought this time in history alive in a memorable way. I loved that we were able to listen and enjoy it together which is rare these days because of their age difference.
We used the study guide primarily for the discussion questions and vocabulary review. I found the study guide most useful for my younger daughters (9 and 12). There are basic comprehension questions, as well as questions that help your student dig deeper into the ideas presented in the story. The study guide also includes a recipes, resources to learn more about this time in history and game and activities.
Visit Heirloom Audio Productions to learn more about The Cat of Bubastes and the other many audio dramas designed to enrich your family time, at home and on the road. You can also view my review of Beric the Briton, from earlier this year.
Keep up with news and new product releases by following Heirloom Audio Productions on social media.