I’ve often discussed my own personal issue of worrying about my children so much that I miss out on all the fun. Today I have some suggestions to calm your worrying mind. Perhaps I need this more than you!
You probably know that worry can make you sick. It puts you into fight or flight mode. Being on edge is bad for your health. You should already know that. What are you going to do about it?
Here are 5 Ways to ease your anxiety without therapy:
- Workout: I know, I know. I’m putting it right here as number one because there are multiple benefits. You need to get your exercise, whether it is running around at the park with your toddler or taking a long walk. I would even suggest taking up jogging. It is nice quiet time for you and you will get the needed exercise.
- Practice Deep Breathing: And get really good at it. This will come in useful to calm your nerves and also keep you calm when the kids are throwing tantrums, knocking each other to the floor or stuffing candy n their pockets at the grocery store.
- Lay off the Alcohol: Throwing back a beer or spiked coffee (my personal fav) can actually stimulate the the release of stress hormones, according to a recent study. Limit yourself.
- Cut back on Coffee: There. I said it. It is way worse in my opinion than #1. We all know too much coffee can make you jittery and anxious. I don’t care. I love it anyway. If you don’t love it as passionately as I do, skip it.
- Keep a Gratitude Journal: Or more simply, tweet what you are thankful for everyday. Keep track of those things, however little, that make you smile throughout the day.
Anxiety and worry should not take over your life. Make enjoying your children a priority by getting your mommy fretting under control. If I can do it, so can you.